Sunday, October 23, 2011

Balanchine's Theme and Variations





The Balanchine Trust is very fastidious about removing full length recordings of his work from the internet.  So I have to share this before it gets removed.  Theme and Variations was first presented in New York City on November 26, 1947 to a stunning orchestral suite by Tchaikovsky, that is one of my personal favorites of the composer.  This recording is from 1978 danced by American Ballet Theatre featuring none other than Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gelsey Kirkland.  In describing the ballet, Balanchine said, "it evokes that great period in classical dancing when Russian ballet flourished with the aid of Tchaikovsky's music."  It is one of my favorite Balanchine ballets.  It contains one of my favorite pas de deuxs in ballet.  Not only does it showcase virtuosic partnering and musicality but it allows the soloists to dance alongside each other, creating a more conversational relationship, rather than the man only supporting the woman.  The choreography and music of the final movement are so exciting that I find myself smiling every time I watch it.
This recording also has a bonus interview with Gelsey Kirkland.  You can hear her talk about her process and what it is like to dance the ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment